Amendment to the Constitution
274. Amendment to Constitution:
(1) No amendment shall be made to this
Constitution in manner to be prejudicial to the sovereignty, territorial integrity,
independence of Nepal and sovereignty vested in the people.
(2) Subject to clause (1) and other Articles of this Constitution, a Bill to
amend or repeal any Article of this Constitution may be introduced in either House
of the Federal Parliament.
Provided that clause (1) shall not be amended.
(3) A Bill introduced pursuant to clause (2) shall be publicly published
for information to the general public within thirty days of its introduction in the
(4) If a Bill introduced pursuant to clause (2) is related with the
alteration in the borders of any State or matters set forth in Schedule-6, the Speaker
or the Chairperson of the concerned House must send that Bill to the State
Assembly for its consent, within thirty days after its introduction in the Federal
(5) The concerned State Assembly must, by a majority of the total
number of its the then members, accept or reject the Bill presented for its consent
pursuant to clause (4) and give information thereof to the FederalParliament within
Provided that if any State Assembly is not in existence, such Bill must be
either accepted or rejected within three months after the date of holding of the first
meeting following the formation of that State Assembly.
(6) In the event of failure to give information of acceptance or rejection
of such Bill within the period set forth in clause (5), nothing shall prevent the
House of the Federal Parliament in which the Bill was originated from proceeding
with the Bill.
(7) If the State Assembly, by its majority, givesa notice of rejection of
such Bill to the concerned House of the Federal Parliament within the period under
clause (5), the Bill shall be inoperative.
(8) A Bill which does not require the consent of the State Assembly or a
Bill accepted by a majority of the State Assembly under clause (5) must be passed
by at least two-thirds majority of the total number of the then members of both
Houses of the Federal Parliament.
(9) A Bill passed under clause (8) shall be presented to the President for
(10) The President shall give assent to a Bill presented under clause (5),
within fifteen days from the date of its receipt, and the Constitution shall get
amended from the date of assent.