CHAPTER – 5
SAFETY MEASURES REGARDING ELECTRIC DEVICES
48. Minimum Distance from Ground to the Electric Wire:
– (1) Distance between the electric wire of different volts of the distribution and transmission system and the ground shall not be less than as prescribed in Schedule-12.
(2) In case where electric line is to be installed by the side of the road or along it, it shall be done by adopting appropriate technological measures.
(3) If it is necessary to install electric line of more than 33,000 volts, it shall have to be done by adding 0.305 meter for each 33,000 volts on the distance as prescribed for 33,000 volts in Schedule-12.
49. Regarding the Installation of Electric Line Across the Road:-
While installing electric line of more than 11,000 volt across the road in a densely populated area, the double insulator system shall have to be used.
50. Distance to be Maintained on either side of the Electric Line:-
(1) While installing electric line of distribution and transmission system, it shall not be installed in a distance lower than the distance as prescribed in Schedule- 13 from the house or tree.
(2) If it is necessary to install electric line of more than 33,000 volt, it shall have to be done by adding 0.305 meter for each 33,000 volts on the distance as prescribed for 33,000 volts in Schedule-13.
51. Distance to be Maintained in between the Poles:-
While determining the distance in between the electric poles, it shall be maintained with taking consideration upon last tensile strength factor of safety and distance between ground and wire.
52. No Electric Lines should be carried out from above a House:-
No electric lines of any kind shall be carried out from above a house. Provided that the lines of upto 400/230 volt may be carried out from above a garage, cottage (Tahara), or fence and such electric lines shall be installed at a height which shall not be less than three meter from the highest point of such garage, cottage or fence.
53. In Relation to Installation of the Lines of Different voltages in a Single
(1) While installing electric lines of different voltages on a single pole, the line of higher voltages shall be installed above and the line of low voltage below.
(2) While installing lines in a manner as mentioned in sub-rule (l), care has to be taken that no leakage or danger of any kind or charge shall exist from high voltage line to low voltage line.
(3) It is necessary that a distance required from the technical point of view should be maintained between the lines of high voltage and low voltage.
54. In Relation to electric Lines to be Installed around Airport:-
While installing electric lines around the airport, it shall be done according to a decision arrived at by the discussion with the chief of airport concerned.
55. In Relation to Installation of Electric Lines and Telephone Lines:-
While installing electric line near to the telephone lines or vice versa, the licensee and the concerned office of telecommunication shall hold discussions between them and it shall be installed in such a way that no obstacle or
charge shall be made to the telephone line from the technical point of view.
56. Safety from Lightning:-
The licensee, shall, for the purpose of safety from any harm from lightning or to ensure non-fluctuations of electric energy, provide protection equipment against lightning or any appropriate device and a system for earthing of lightning from those devices shall also be provided.
57. Change-over-switch to be Maintained:-
Each person, who install a standby generating set for standby use, shall, in consultation with the licensee in that
area, have to install a change-over-switch.
58. Earthing to be Done:-
(1) All kinds of metallic supports under high voltage system shall be permanently and effectively earthen by using perpetual earth wire.
(2) Insulators shall have to be installed at not less than three meters from the ground in the stay-wires used in supports of transmission and distribution system.
59. Cutout to be Installed:-
(1) The licensee shall have to install cutout or circuit breaker on the energy meter with seal for the purpose of safety and load limit of the energy meter installed in the house or premises of the consumer.
(2) The consumer shall ha ve to install an isolating switch nearby the energy meter.
60. Earthing of Electric Devices to be used at the places of the Consumer:-
(1) If electric appliances like water-heater, air-conditioner are installed in the house of the consumer, provision of earthing shall have to be made for such appliances by supplying electricity through separate appropriate electric
(2) If electric appliances of different metals is to be used in the house or premises of the consumer, three-pin plug socket shall have to be installed and such plug socket shall have to be connected with the earthing
(3) The earthing system installed in the house or premises of the consumer shall have to be in accordance with the technically proper system.
61. Safety of Internal Wiring:-
Wiring method and the electric devices installed for the safety of internal wiring of the consumer’s house shall ha ve
to be in accordance with the prevailing technical standard.
62. Insulated Wire to be Used:-
Insulated wire shall have to be used when joining electric line to the consumer’s house.
63. Electric Line to be Provided through Pole:-
(1) While installing a electric line to the consumer’s house, it shall be done only through pole.
(2) Notwithstanding anything written in sub-rule (1), while installing electric line to the consumer’s house, it shall be done only after making provision of safety in accordance with the prevailing technical standard.
64. Danger of Leakage at 230/400 Volt:-
The insulation resistance of electric system of 230/400 volts and wiring shall be at least 5 megaohm.
65. Danger of Leakage at High Voltage:-
(1) The insulation resistance of 3,300 volt electric system shall be at least 20 megaohm.
(2) While calculating the insulation resistance of more than 3,300 volt electric system, it shall be done by adding 1 megaohm for each 1,000 volt on 20 megaohm.
(3) The operation of electric system without the insulation resistance as mentioned in sub-rule (1) and (2) shall not be allowed.
66. Utilization of House and Land around the construction Site Relating to
Production, Transmission and Distribution of Electricity may be
(1) If any construction work has been carried on relating to production, transmission and distribution of electricity for the purpose of Sub-section (3) of Section 33 of the Act, Government of Nepal may, by publishing a notification in the Nepal Gazette from time to time, prohibit in the utilization of the house and land at the place of construction or at the place falling within the specified distance around the construction site for
any specified purpose.
(2) No one should plant tree or construct house underneath the electric line installed for the purpose of transmission or distribution of electricity or on either side of such line within the distance as prescribed in
Schedule-12 and 13.
67. Standard of Electrical Devices and Method of Use:-
The licensee, shall have to abide by the following matters from the point of view of standard and safety of the electrical devices to be used in the works of production, transmission and distribution of the electricity:-
(a) Materials and devices of high standards should be used,
(b) when bringing into operation the new plant or after repairing the old one, it should be operated after conducting all tests from the technical point of view and be proved proper,
(c) The electric wires to be used for any purpose should be of adequate capacity required for that work,
(d) While joining the electric wires, it should be joined in accordance with
the recognized technical standard in such a way that a danger might not
(e) The joint boxes of underground wire, metallic conduct joint and joint of metallic sheets of the wire shall have to be installed on such places that those joints could be easily accessible for inspection.
(f) Fuses, circuit breaker or any appropriate device shall have to be installed in such a way that if more current than the specified current flow in the electric circuit or sub-circuit, they might resist the flow of current and there would not arise any danger. These devices, while in operation, should be such that extra heat would not be produced, nonsparking and would of no danger at the time of changing.
(g) Single phase switch is not allowed to be installed in the neutral wire except on live wire.