Definition of Certain Terms Used in this Convention and the Administrative Regulations of the International Telecommunication Union
For the purpose of the above instruments of the Union, the following terms shall have the meanings defined below:
Expert: A person sent by either:
- the Government or the administration of his country, or
- an entity or an organization authorized in accordance with Article 19 of this Convention, or
- an international organization
to participate in tasks of the Union relevant to his area of professional competence.
Observer: A person sent by:
- the United Nations, a specialized agency of the United Nations, the International Atomic Energy Agency, a regional telecommunication organization, or an intergovernmental organization operating satellite systems, to participate, in an advisory capacity, in a Plenipotentiary Conference, a conference or a meeting of a Sector,
- an international organization to participate, in an advisory capacity, in a conference or a meeting of a Sector, or
- the government of a Member of the Union to participate in a non-voting capacity in a regional conference, in accordance with the relevant provisions of this Convention.
Mobile Service: A radiocommunication service between mobile and land stations, or between mobile stations.
Scientific or Industrial Organization: Any organization, other than a governmental establishment or agency, which is engaged in the study of tele communication problems or in the design or manufacture of equipment intended for telecommunication services.
Radiocommunication: Telecommunication by means of radio waves.
Note 1: Radio waves are electromagnetic waves of frequencies arbitrarily lower than 3000 GHz, propagated in space without artificial guide.
Note 2: For the requirements of Nos. 149 to 154 of this Convention, the term “radiocommunication” also includes telecommunications using electromagnetic waves of frequencies above 3000 GHz, propagated in space without artificial guide.
Service Telecommunication: A telecommunication that relates to public international telecommunications and that is exchanged among the following:
- recognized operating agencies, and
- the Chairman of the Council, the Secretary-General, the Deputy Secretary-General, the Directors of the Bureaux, the members of the Radio Regulations Board, and other representatives or authorized officials of the Union, including those working on official matters outside the