Chapter-7 Traffic control
115. Setting the speed of motor vehicle:
(1) If the Department considers necessary to set the speed of driving motor vehicles at any public place, it
may set such speed and prohibit driving motor vehicle in excess of such speed. No motor vehicle shall be driven in excess of the set speed at the place where such speed has been set.
(2) The Department shall cause to be posted or affixed a notice or sign relating to the set speed at a public place where it is prohibited to drive a motor vehicle in excess of the speed set pursuant to Sub-section (1).
(3) The provisions of Sub-section (1) shall not apply to a fire- fighting motor vehicle, ambulance and a motor vehicle used for the purpose of transporting patients.
Provided that, such a motor vehicle shall use a special type of sound and light in order to alert the pedestrians and other motor vehicles on the road.
116. Weight of motor vehicle: The Department may determine the limit of weight of a motor vehicle in respect of any public place. Where the limit of weight of a motor vehicle is so determined, no one shall drive, or cause to be
driven, the motor vehicle in that public place in excess of the limit of weight so determined.
117. Prescription of number of passengers and quantity of goods to be hold in motor vehicle: (1) The Department shall determine the number of passengers and the weight of goods permissible in a public motor vehicle and
publish a notice to that effect for information of the general public.
(2) A public motor vehicle may not carry persons or goods in excessof such number of persons or weight of goods as may be specified pursuant to Sub-section (1).
118. Power to impose restriction on driving motor vehicle: Notwithstanding anything contained elsewhere in this Act, the Department may impose restriction on driving any motor vehicle in any public place having regard to
public security and welfare of the general public. Where restriction is so imposed, the Department shall cause to be posted, displayed or affixed a notice thereof at that place.
119. Posting, displaying or affixing traffic signs: (1) The Department shall cause to be posted, displayed or affixed the necessary traffic signs of color, size and model conforming to international practice at such public places as
it may consider necessary.
(2) No one except the Department or a person deputed by the Department shall remove, replace, alter, erase, tear or deface the traffic signs which are posted, displayed or affixed pursuant to Sub-section (1).
120. Observation of traffic signs: (1) A driver shall, while driving a motor vehicle, observe the traffic signs.
(2) The traffic signs required to be observed by a driver shall be as prescribed.
121. Parking place and bus stand to be determined: The competent authority shall, in consultation with the officials of local bodies at the village,municipal and district levels, determine parking places and bus stands,
without causing adverse effects on traffic on the main roads.
122. Parking of motor vehicle dangerously: (1) A motor vehicle must not be parked in a public place in such a manner as to cause danger, obstruction or inconvenience to any other motor vehicle or person.
(2) If a motor vehicle breaks down during the motion and such a motor vehicle cannot be taken to other place immediately, the vehicle must be stationed on the left hand side of the road in order to avoid any accident
and must be guarded by a red lamp or reflector so that it can be visible from distance at night by other motor vehicles.
123. Prohibition on keeping passengers in other part of motor vehicle: A driver or owner or manager of motor vehicle may not drive, or cause to be driven, a motor vehicle by keeping passengers in other parts of the motor
vehicle except on the seats built for passengers, in the case of a motor vehicle plying on a long and medium route and by keeping passengers in other parts except on the seats built for passengers and inner parts, in the
case of a motor vehicle plying on a local route.
124. Prohibition on activity causing obstruction to driver: No one shall obstruct the driver by placing goods or standing beside the driver cabin in such a manner as to directly or indirectly affect the driver or behaving in any
other manner causing obstruction to the driver.
125. Prohibition on causing obstruction to traffic: No goods or motor vehicles shall be kept or stationed in any public place in such a manner as to cause obstruction to the traffic of human beings or motor vehicles.
Provided that, if owing to a special circumstance, it is necessary to keep any goods at a public place for some time, an intimation thereof must be given to the nearest police office and approval of that office must be obtained.
126. Warning signs to be placed while digging pit at public place: (1) While digging a pit at a public place for a specific reason, a prior approval of the nearest police office must be obtained.
(2) While granting approval to dig a pit at any public place pursuant to Sub-section (1), the nearest police office shall cause warning signs to be so placed as to avoid an accident at that place.
127. Warning signs required to be placed on motor vehicle: Warning signs must be placed visibly on a cargo public motor vehicle that is engaged in the carriage of hazardous cargo of any kind in such a manner that other motor
vehicles and the general public come to know that the motor vehicle contains such goods.
128. Prohibition on route diversion of motor vehicle and taking passenger hostage: (1) No one shall intimidate, show fear or use any kind of force, or cause to do so, to the driver, while driving a motor vehicle on the scheduled
route, to divert the motor vehicle to another route.
(2) No one shall take any person travelling in a motor vehicle as hostage and make any kind of demand for the release of such a motor vehicle or the person held as hostage.
129. Prohibition to causing loss and damage to passenger and motor vehicle involved in accident: No one shall manhandle any passenger and any person serving in a motor vehicle who are injured or dead in an accident occurred to the motor vehicle or misappropriate or snatch away their belongings or to cause any loss or damage to them by any means.
130. Use of seat-belt and helmet during driving:
(1) While driving a motor vehicle as prescribed, the driver and a person seated on the front seat of the
motor vehicle shall use the seat-belt.
(2) While driving a motor-cycle or similar other two wheeled motor vehicle, the driver and the pillion rider shall use helmets.
131. Showing document as and when so demanded: (1) A driver shall show the driving license if the police or transport inspector wishes to examine it in the course of inquiry.
(2) If the police or transport inspector wishes to examine the registration certificate of a motor vehicle or route permit of a public motor vehicle in course of inquiry, the driver of the motor vehicle, owner or
manager of motor vehicle shall show the registration certificate or route permit.
132. Stoppage of vehicle: A driver shall stop the motor vehicle which he or she is driving and shall keep it stand-still for an appropriate period as may be necessary if:
(a) the police or transport inspector gives a signal or order to stop the motor vehicle;
(b) a person that is in charge of an animal for the time being gives a signal or makes a request to stop the motor vehicle owing to the possibility that the animal may be shocked or frightened and thereby
become out of control;
(c) an accident has occurred to a motor vehicle, causing loss of life of any human being or animal or of property; or
(d) pedestrians are crossing the road at zebra-crossing or traffic lights at the inter-section of two or four cross roads are signaling to stop.
133. Duty of driver in case of accident: (1) If an accident is caused by a motor vehicle, causing any danger to the body of or injury to a person, the driver, conductor, security personnel of, or other employee working in, the motor
vehicle shall immediately make necessary arrangement for the treatment of that person.
(2) In the event of the absence of police personnel at the place where the motor vehicle has met accident as mentioned in Sub-section (1), the driver shall immediately report to the nearest police office, with information
and particulars of the accident. If any police personnel enquire the concerned driver of any matter connected with the accident, the driver shall answer all matters asked.
134. Inspection of motor vehicle involved in accident: If, for the purpose of inquiry into an accident, the concerned police thinks it necessary to inspect a motor vehicle that has caused, or has been involved in, the accident, the
police may make such inspection by requiring the production of the motor vehicle before him or her or by visiting the place where the motor vehicle is present.
135. Driving motor vehicle on left-side: (1) While driving a motor vehicle at any public place, the driver shall keep driving on the left side of the road in any place other than the prescribed place.
(2) If it is required to overtake a motor vehicle plying at the front, the motor vehicle at the rear must give a signal and overtake from the right side only after the driver of that motor vehicle has signaled to overtake. If the
motor vehicle at the rear gives such a signal to overtake, the motor vehicle at the front must, having regard to the prevailing conditions, give a signal to overtake it.
136. Walking on the pavement: A pedestrian shall walk only on the pavement of a road wherever it exists. While walking on a road that does not have such pavement, a pedestrian shall walk keeping himself or herself at the edge of
137. Crossing road at designated places: While crossing a road, a pedestrian shall do so only at the zebra-crossing, sub-way, overhead bridge or at the places designated for road-crossing.
138. Prohibition on straying of domestic animal: No one shall stray a domestic animal at a public place in such a way as to cause obstruction to the traffic of motor vehicles or human beings.
139. Information to be given: (1) The owner of a motor vehicle shall provideany such information as may be demanded by the competent authority, transport inspector or police in respect of that motor vehicle.
(2) If the information demanded pursuant to Sub-section (1) relates to a public motor vehicle or its driver, conductor, security personnel or any employee working in that motor vehicle, the owner or manager of that motor
vehicle shall give the information so demanded to the competent authority,
transport inspector or police.
140. Mobile inspector: (1) The police or transport inspector may, as and when necessary, carry out mobile inspection in order to inspect whether the provisions of this Act or the Rules framed hereunder are being observed or
(2) If, in carrying out a mobile inspection pursuant to Sub-section (1), the police or transport inspector observes that any act as set forth in Section 164 is being committed, the police or transport inspector may immediately
punish the person who commits such act with the punishment set forth in that Section.
141. Prohibition on transferring driving license by driver to other person: No driver shall transfer his or her driving license to another person for driving a motor vehicle.
142. Prohibition on consuming liquor or other narcotic Substance: No driver shall consume any liquor or narcotic substance of any kind while driving a motor vehicle.
143. To turn on light while driving motor vehicle at night: While driving a motor vehicle at night or during fogs, the light of the vehicle must be turned on.
144. Prohibition on driving motor vehicle in bad condition: A motor vehicle whose condition is not good because of any of its spare parts being out of order must not be driven.
145. Rendering necessary assistance: A motor vehicle must render necessary assistance to any motor vehicle involved in an accident or the passengers remaining in that motor vehicle.
146. Publicity to be made or cause to be made: The Department shall make necessary arrangements from time to time for broadcasting programs relating to traffic signs through various means of communication for the purpose of
giving information of traffic signs to the general public in order to prevent motor vehicle accidents.
147. Prohibition on driving motor vehicle recklessly: No driver shall drive a motor vehicle recklessly.