Chapter-4 Function, Duties Powers and Procedure related to the Meeting of the District Legal Aid Committee
10. Functions, Duties and Power of the District Legal Aid Committee: In addition to the functions, duties and powers
(articulated) mentioned in Section 7 of the Act, the district legal aid committee shall have the following functions, duties and powers:-
(a) If many persons having less income than that specified pursuant to Sub-rule (1) of Rule 6 have applied for the legal aid then to formulate the required policy for determining the priority list of the persons who shall be entitled for legal aid and to determine the priority list of the persons to be entitled for legal aid subject to the provisions of thus formulated policy.
(b) For providing legal aid to the indigent persons in appellate court, district court or other Agency, to prepare the list of panel of lawyers in coordination with conceived bar unit.
(c) To make the required decision subject to the provisions of policy formulated by central committee on partial or full waiver of the expenditure made by the committee in the course of providing legal aid to any persons pursuant to the provision of Section 4 of the Act,
(d) To determine the remuneration of lawyers providing the legal aid, subject to the provision of policy formulated by the central committee in determination of amount of remuneration shall be given to the lawyers providing the legal aid, pursuant to the Subsection (4) of Section 5 of the act.
(e) To evaluate the total economic benefit received by the person entitled for legal aid subject to the provisions of the policy formulated by central committee in relation to the evaluation of the total economic benefit received by a person in reimbursing the expenditure made by the committee pursuant to Sub-rule (2) of Rule 7.
(f) If any lawyer appointed by the committee to provide the legal aid to a person pursuant to the Act or these Rules makes negligence or carelessness in providing the legal aid and in consequence the person losses the case then to request the central committee to recommend the Bar Council to take action against such lawyer pursuant to prevailing laws.
(g) To send the annual program and budget after passing it, to the central committee for approval.
11. Procedures relating to the meeting of the District Committee:
(1) The District Committee’s Meeting shall held Three times every year on the date, time and at a place stipulated by the chairperson and may be held more than that if needed.
(2) District Committee as per the need may invite any expert to participate in district committee’s meeting as an observer.
(3) The quorum for the district committee meeting deemed to be completed if Fifty percent members of the total number of members of the district committee present.
(4) The chairperson of the committee shall chair the meeting of the district committee. In absence of chairperson, the member selected among the members themselves shall chair the meeting.
(5) The majority’s opinion shall be valid in the district committee meeting and if the vote ties then the person who is chairing the meeting shall be entitled for decision vote.
(6) The decisions of the district committee’s meeting shall be written in minute and authenticated by member secretary of the committee then shall be provided for information to all members.
(7) The other procedures relating to the meeting of the district committee shall be determined by the district committee itself.