CHAPTER – 4 VOLTAGE, FREQUENCY AND POWER FACTOR OF ELECTRICITYmn@admin
CHAPTER – 4
VOLTAGE, FREQUENCY AND POWER FACTOR OF ELECTRICITY
40. Supply Voltage:
– (1) The standard of supply voltage shall have to be maintained as follows:-
(a) 230 volt in A.C. single phase and 400 volt in three phases for general consumers.
(b) For those who want a supply of electricity from four wires, the electric service shall be made a vailable in
230/400 volt from A.C. three phases.
(2) The fluctuation shall not be allowed for more than five percent in standard volt as mentioned in Clauses (a) and (b) of sub-rule (1)
41. High Voltage Distribution System:-
(1) The standard of the voltage in the high voltage distribution system, the standard of distribution system shall be
maintained as follows:-
(a) 3,300 volt,
(b) 6,600 volt,
(c) 11,000 volt,
(d) 22,000 volt,
(e) 33,000 volt,
(2) The fluctuation shall not be allowed for more than five percent in
standard volt as mentioned in Clauses (a) to (e) of sub-rule (1).
42. High Voltage Transmission System:-
(1) The standard of the voltage in the high voltage transmission system shall be transmitted as follows:-
(a) 33,000 volt,
(b) 66,000 volt,
(c) 1,32,000 volt,
(d) 2,20,000 volt,
(e) 4,00,000 volt,
(2) The fluctuation shall not be allowed for more than ten percent in
standard volt mentioned in Clause (a) to (e) of sub-rule (1).
43. Frequency:- (1) The standard of the frequency shall be maintained as 50
cycles per second (50 hertz).
(2) The fluctuation shall not be allowed more than 2.5 percent in the
frequency standard as mentioned in sub-rule (1).
44. Power Factor:-
The standard of the power factor shall have to be
maintained as follows:-
(a) The level of power factor of the electricity supplied to the consumer shall not be allowed not less than 0.8 lyayring and not more than one unit leadings.
(b) The condensers or any other appropriate equipment shall be managed for maintaining the standard of power factor in electric transmission and distribution system pursuant to clause (a).
(c) The licensee may cause the consumer to install appropriate condenser if the consumer’s electricity related power factor is not at the level mentioned in Clause (a).
45. Unit of Measurement of Different Standard of Electricity:-
Following unit of measurement shall be maintained for measuring different standard of
(a) Milliampere, ampere or kiloampere for the measurement of electric
(b) Millivolt, volt or kilovolt for the measurement of voltage,
(c) Ohm, kiloohm, or megaohm for the measurement of resistance,
(d) Henry, Millihenry or kilohenry for the measurement of inductance,
(e) Microfarad, millifarad or farad for the measurement of capacitance,
(f) Watt, kilowatt or megawatt for the measurement of power,
(g) Kilowatt hour, megawatt hour or gigawatt hour for the measurement of
(h) VA, KVA or MVA for the measurement of voltampere,
(i) VAR, KVAR or MVAR for the measurement of reactive power.
46. Standard to be Maintained:-
(1) The standard of the voltage, frequency or power factor of electricity shall ha ve to be maintained in accordance with this chapter by the licensee.
(2) If it is found that standard has not been maintained pursuant to sub-rule (1), the inspector, by taking into account the condition of the plant of the licensee, shall allow necessary time to improve such system and it
shall be the duty of the licensee to correct the electricity system within the prescribed time.
47. Increase or Decrease of the Limits:
– Government of Nepal may, by publishing a notification in Nepal Gazette, may increase or decrease the limits of voltage, frequency and power factor mentioned in this chapter by taking technical factors for the avoidance of dangerous effects.