Chapter- 9 Adjournment Motionmn@admin
33. Notice of Motion and Speaker’s Consent:
(1) Subject to the provisions of these Rules, a motion for an adjournment of the business of the House for the purpose of discussing a matter of urgent public importance may be moved with the consent of the Speaker. Provided that,
(1) If such a motion is not found compatible to Rules or the Speaker has rejected it, he/she may, if he/she deems it necessary, state the reasons for refusing the motion or holding the motion being not as per the Rules.
(2) If the Speaker deems necessary to receive more information in respect of the facts mentioned in the motion, he/she may ask for more information or full facts on such motion from the concerned Member or Minister before approving or rejecting the motion.
(2) The notice of an adjournment motion shall be given to the Secretary General or Secretary within half past ten at the morning of the day on which the motion is proposed to be introduced at the sitting, and one copy each of the notices along with the motion shall be given to the Speaker, concerned Minister and the Minister of Law, Justice and Constituent Assembly Affairs. Any notice received thereafter shall be deemed to have been received on the next day.
(3) The notice relating to the motion referred to in Sub-rule (2) shall not be given more than once in one sitting.
(4) If the notice to the motion has been signed by more than one Member, the notice shall be deemed to have been given by the Member signing first in the serial Number.
34. Conditions Relating to Adjournment Motion:
A motion for adjournment of the sitting of the Legislature-Parliament for the purpose of discussing an urgent matter of public importance may be moved subject to the following conditions:-
(a) The motion shall be on a specific matter of recent occurrence and within the responsibility of Government of Nepal.
(b) The conditions referred to in Rule 17 must have been complied with.
35. Leave of the House to Move Adjournment Motion:
(1) In case the Speaker gives consent to move the motion under Rule 33, the Speaker shall, before taking up other business, call the name of the concerned Member and the Member shall ask for leave to move the motion for adjournment of House.
(2) In case any Member raises objection against the motion for leave moved pursuant to Sub-rule (1), the Speaker shall request those Members who are in favor of the leave to be granted to rise themselves from their places, and if sixty one or more Members rise accordingly, it shall be deemed that the House has consented to grant such a leave.
36. Time for Taking up the Motion:
The Speaker may allot any time of the same day, after considering the state of business in the House, to take up the motion on adjournment for discussion.
37. Closure of Debate:
If the Speaker deems that the discussion on the motion is adequate, he/she shall place the motion for decision of the House.
38. Determination of Time limit for Statements:
The time limit for statements by the Member moving the motion, its seconder, the concerned Minister and other Members in respect of the motion shall be as prescribed by the Speaker.