13. The Policy and Legal Reform ProgramEditor NLC
HMGN has already taken the first step in legal reform by enacting the Forest Act of 1993 and by promulgating the Forest Rules of 1995. Further actions now needed include:
- Providing uniform guidance to the individuals, institutions, and organisations which implement policy.
- Standardising practices in field operations. Ensuring that the most urgently needed activities are given priority.
- Promoting mutual confidence in the relations among government agencies, communities, and individuals involved in the development process.
- Enacting an act and rules to define the role of the Department of Plant Resources.
- Formulating rules for the management of buffer zones and the implementation of community development activities.
- Enacting an act and rules governing land- use planning.