PART IV. VOCATIONAL TRAINING, HANDICRAFTS AND RURAL INDUSTRIESEditor NLC
Members of the peoples concerned shall enjoy opportunities at least equal to those of other citizens in respect of vocational training measures.
- Measures shall be taken to promote the voluntary participation of members of the peoples concerned in vocational training programmes of general application.
- Whenever existing programmes of vocational training of general application do not meet the special needs of the peoples concerned, governments shall, with the participation of these peoples, ensure the provision of special training programmes and facilities.
- Any special training programmes shall be based on the economic environment, social and cultural conditions and practical needs of the peoples concerned. Any studies made in this connection shall be carried out in co-operation with these peoples, who shall be consulted on the organization and operation of such programmes. Where feasible, these peoples shall progressively assume responsibility for the organization and operation of such special training programmes, if they so decide.
- Handicrafts, rural and community-based industries, and subsistence economy and traditional activities of the peoples concerned, such as hunting, fishing, trapping and gathering, shall be recognized as important factors in the maintenance of their cultures and in their economic self-reliance and development. Governments shall, with the participation of these people and whenever appropriate, ensure that these activities are strengthened and promoted.
- Upon the request of the peoples concerned, appropriate technical and financial assistance shall be provided wherever possible, taking into account the traditional technologies and cultural characteristics of these peoples, as well as the importance of sustainable and equitable development.